Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Flexibility is Key to Survival

It is around 5:25AM and I am up, dressed and ready to head out the door to tackle a speed workout with my track group when my little one groggily shuffles into the bathroom. I wouldn't trade these "I just need you" snuggles for anything, honestly, but to be just as honest a "this is not what I had planned" sigh came too. I had written the following speed workout for our group: 16 x 200 - alternating mile and 5k paces | jog 100 | walk 100 | REPEAT. The idea being that even with varying speeds we would not have the opportunity to get too spread out and therefore nobody would be standing around in 20 degree temps. {brrrrr!} Got great feedback on the workout and knew I had to still get it in.


Motherhood has certainly taught me that you have to be able to roll with the punches if you have any chance of surviving. With that I pulled out my trusty paper day planner (yup I am old school like that!) and rearranged my week by pushing some tasks around. That is not always possible and I'd be painting a false picture if I didn't acknowledge the struggle it is to find any sort of balance, but I remain convinced that making my fitness a priority is important to EVERYONE'S happiness. This is why even when I’m dragging I still make time to get my workout in.

So after dropping the early morning snuggler at preschool I headed to the Dowd YMCA. Even though the sun was up, it was still really cold but their rooftop track has a great view of the city skyline. I jogged a warmup mile then headed back inside for leg swings, a motivation check and loaded the workout plan into my Garmin. Turns out this track would not be my first recommendation for a speed workout. The turns are tight making it difficult to maintain faster paces plus 13 laps = 1 mile which makes for uneven math. Bottom line, I got it done and that is also my advice to others. Just do it! There are a million reasons you can’t get to the gym or just don't want to. Yes there are more important things in life to worry about but I think we can also agree there is nothing better than feeling strong, fit & capable.

1 comment:

Hannah Virginia Runs said...

That little nugget is so sweet! If it weren't for her I wouldn't know you! :( So glad you stole me as your friend!