The coronavirus is on the loose! While there are much more serious things than having a race cancelled, it is something that runners around the world have been anxious about as events they have trained months for drew nearer. This is usually the first big month of the spring race season but major events have been cancelled all over and it seems I hear of a new one every day! First off these are certainly the right decisions and I was not surprised when my race joined the ever growing list of cancellations. That does not mean I was not tremendously disappointed and yes, I cried!
I cried because I am exhausted and just had the rug swept out from under me! Runners train for typically around 3 month for one single day - ONE. SINGLE, DAY! All the training miles, all the early mornings, all the mentally preparation, all the decisions not go out or not have the french fries or beer take their toll on the body and mind. Runners believe it is all worth it so you could say we have tunnel vision but when that light at the end is gone, then what?! For me, I cried! I felt a little selfish but I let myself boohoo. It helped me move on and after attending my own pity party for a bit I felt better.
Lots of races have set new dates for this fall and I hope participants will still be able to enjoy their victory lap. I am getting deferrels for Wilmington Marathon and Craft Beer Half for 2021 so don't see a road race in my near future. I will continue to run but think will switch gears and head to the trails as soon as possible to hopefully get lost {in thought} in the woods or on a mountain side.
No comments:
Post a Comment