Saturday, November 3, 2012

Rock & Read

Today Jim spent the morning volunteering at our neighborhood park while munchkin and I set out for a day on the town. First on our agenda was a road race and fun run but the adventure began sooner. We were running late so Jim literally dropped us off in the middle of the road where the race was about the begin. Being the competitive person I am, I couldn't just casually fall into the back and enjoy a jog with my daughter, I needed the official time so sprinted to pick up my timing chip. We got a few chuckles on the return sprint since the "start gun" had already gone off but it did justify my weaving through the other participants.
I only heard about the race through my sorority alumni club. Our national philanthropy is literacy and proceeds from the race were to benefit the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library. It turned out to be a great event and one I will keep an eye out for next year. Winning my division, Females 30-39, helped but the race shirt, food, drink, fun run and door prizes were top notch. Addie "won" $10 to the movies for basically being cute and I ended up with $50 to Slate Interiors for cheering the loudest about something, ha!

It's extra weight to push but having my own mobile cheerleader is awesome!
Next we walked to the Light Rail. I felt so urban or European, regardless it was very nice to relax and be able to rely on public transportation. We took The Lynx from Scaleybark all the way up to 7th Street and walked to our next destination, ImaginOn, where we met friends for Storytime. Next we walked over to Brixx for a fun lunch. I would love to say I walked home from there but we loaded the jog stroller into my friend's car and caught a ride instead. All in all I felt like we conquered the day!

No comments: