Saturday, October 26, 2013

Being a Rock Star must run in the family

I cannot begin to describe how proud of my mom I am! She just completed her first half marathon and did so in total rock star fashion by coming is 6th in her division with a time of 2:44:23! This from a women who is not a runner but then she still managed to beat plenty who were half her age. (And she was worried about being the last one to cross the finish line or being picked up by the "pace police".)


Some of you are asking, why would she do such a thing? Well she made the mistake of telling me one time that she would like to do a half marathon before she turned 60.  :-)  I am not sure if at the time she really meant it or not but sometime after that Greensboro announced it was going to have an inaugural race plus that race ended up on Living Social. Local and inexpensive?! It seemed like stars were alining so we both signed up! I was so excited to share something I love with someone I love and to be play a part in her victorious moment.

Unfortunately I was unable to be there and do this with her, which I hated, but once I knew there a possiblity of not being there I began reaching out and thinking about how she HAD to still do it. She needed to hear the cheers as she accomplished this awesome fete. Possibly by truly doing this solo, she feels an even deeper sense of pride - or that is just what I am telling myself now. Regardless I had to take the opportunity to brag on her! She might even have caught the "fever" because she is already entertaining thoughts of joining our Greensboro Gobbler crew/tradition... and I cannot wait to have her!

No comments: