Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Show some LOVE for Alzheimer's

You don't need to know me long to know two things... I love my family and I love to run! This fall I will once again start training for a marathon but this time with an entirely new depth of motivation. I originally signed up to participate in The Chicago Marathon after achieving a qualifying time this past November in Richmond, VA. Chicago is an iconic race and a bucket list event for me but I was extra excited because I guaranteed my own entry and did so at a special time in my life. The previous year had been filled with a lot, to say the least! Knee surgery, Jim's terrible leg break, having a baby, changing careers and just surviving on little sleep! So while I am proud of my accomplishment and would be looking forward to the race no matter what I just started to feel there was more I could be doing with the opportunity.
 
I lost my beloved grandmother, Nonnie, in January and the loss left me more shaken then I care to admit. We all handle grief in different ways and I am channeling my sorrow into fuel to do something that makes me extremely uncomfortable... admitting I need help and asking for money. I have joined up with the Alzheimer’s Association ALZ Stars® program to help advance the fight against Alzheimer's disease. The funds raised will directly benefit the care, support and research efforts of the Alzheimer's Association.
 
I wish I could tell her I am doing this for her but honestly she would have blown right past any focus on her and made me feel like an Olympian. That is just who she was, a true light in the world with a heart of gold. You would be hard pressed to find someone out there that could make you feel more special, beautiful, adored and LOVED! It is no coincidence she came into this world on February 14! Today was the first Valentine's Day I did not call to wish her a Happy Birthday and that sucks. Instead I am reaching out to each of you seeking your help for this worthy cause! Who has a little LOVE left to share?!
 
Please help me honor the life of a remarkable women and consider helping me in this journey... prayers, high fives, company on long runs and especially monetary donations are all appreciated! To those who took it upon themselves to donate before I even made a pitch I am especially grateful! A link to my fundraising page is below.
 
PS - I will be missing Addie's actual birthday for this race so please help make that worth it!
 
 

No comments: