The Frosty Fifty takes place around Salem Lake just outside of Winston Salem, North Carolina so we drove up from Charlotte the night before and stayed at my parent's house in Greensboro to make race morning easier. It was nice to be able to remove the mom hat and only be concerned about myself for the night. Actually I didn't even have to prepare dinner as my friend Holly made us gluten free pasta which was simple and perfect. This allowed me to foster new things to worry about instead.
You should not stalk the weather before a race and waste mental energy of something completely out of your control. We all knew this but were still all consumed! The average temperature in early January runs from low of 29 to high of 49 but the RealFeel® was to be right around zero! Cold is usually good for distance runners so you don't over heat but we questioned every article of clothing we packed. Layers are key for winter running and we were fretting over how many we could pile on and trying to cover every inch of skin! At the end all we could do was laugh even though deep down I think we all wanted to cry. There actually were tears before the night was over because we laughed so hard at ourselves!
The course was a loop around the partially frozen lake with an out-and-back trail add-on making each loop 12.5k. I wore trail shoes which was a mistake as you run on a wide, packed dirt path with a paved portion in there. The route stayed close to the wooded shoreline of the lake so rolled and was scenic but after 4 loops I was just ready to be done and attempt to feel my fingers again. Being the coldest day in the race's 18 years was not the history I was looking to make.
I finished in a very respectable time, 4:51:03, and even after that much activity am not sure I ever warmed up! The only layer I even removed was to change from a full hat to an earband and I might actually categorize that as another mistake. Good things always come in threes so the last mistake I made was to not really eat anything the entire race. I attempted to eat a PBJ at one aid station but it was frozen and I couldn't produce any saliva to break it down. The only fuel I took in was liquid and some BBQ potato chips. Mark this under "Things Not To Do" at your race.
The weather just emphasized that this race was not about time or performance but about accomplishing something and pushing my limits. I certainly expanded my running knowledge and this experience helped to build some confidence as I gear up for an actual trail 50k race in about a month. Stay tuned!


No comments:
Post a Comment