Yesterday I officially became an Idiot and yes I am proudly shouting it from the mountain top! If you are not a distance runner you quickly categorize plenty of the things I consider fun, dumb! This will not be an exception.
The most insane part of this event was the ridiculously early wake up call. My alarm went off earlier then it did for WC-50. "Dumb" things are always more fun with friends so a group of Urban Runners met in NoDa to drive the hour together to the small town of Albemarle. 14 of us groggily piled into a van and were on the road before 4:00AM. We all had the same idea of fun that morning... run up a mountain to chase the sunrise! This is the Fellowship of the Idiots run.
The Fellowship began in 2003 when a few friends got together for their last long training run before the Myrtle Beach Marathon. They started at the YMCA in Albemarle and ran to the top of Morrow Mountain and back (19.7 miles). Every year since then, "idiots" have gotten together for this awesome long run. This year there were 359 runners - 196 of us first time idiots and the rest returning ones.
There is no charge for this (extremely well organized) run however donations are accepted to help offset the cost of putting on the run. Those that complete their first Fellowship of the Idiot Run earn a Fellowship of the Idiot t-shirt and a suitable for framing certificate. In addition, you get your name added to the Fellowship of the Idiot wall at Vac & Dash.
The event kicked off at 5:30AM. Peter, the owner of Vac & Dash, welcomed us all with a few words and then it was a simple - Ready, Set, GO! Well the run began but one of my run buddies had ducked into the Y for one last trip to the bathroom. It is the only race I have ever shrugged "no rush". We were the final participants to start and even paused to have our picture taken before heading out into the dark.
Since it was so early there wasn’t really anyone on the streets except us. Runners wore their reflective gear, headlamps and had blinker lights on for safety. By the way, I am taking recommendations for a headlamp. I absolutely love my Amphipod Cap Clip Light! I cannot imagine there is anything out there less noticeable. It is so lightweight and clips directly onto the bill of a hat/visor which I rarely run without. However know a more powerful headlamp would be better for the trails. Back to being idiots though! It was fun meeting other folks out for this unique run, cheering them on and bantering with the awesome aid station volunteers.
As we started to make the final ascent, the sun started to wake up. Since it is a race, I'll say I did "beat" the sun to the top. The views are very pretty but this morning it was cloudy so was not the beautiful orange I hoped for. People hung at the top taking pictures (& of course posting to social media) before making the return trip. Even though it is a out-and-back course, since the first half was in the dark it was an entirely difference scene coming down in the day light. The aid stations were still just as lively and volunteers still just as happy even though they had to be chilly. As I runner the weather was pretty close to perfect though - 40s with no rain or headwind.
Run often. Run long. Just never outrun the joy of running. With that is mind here was Hannah and I's "jump for joy" attempt at the end. We still had some ups left in our legs after 19 miles but just could not coordinate. Hope it makes you giggle!



1 comment:
Ashley! You will absolutely love the Nathan Orion Strobe light! It can be clipped onto your hat like that other one you mentioned. I wear it on my shorts because it is super bright! Here is the link to get it! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZQEEL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Post a Comment