I have been touched and blown away by the stories of heroism, loss, growth and strength but this is not one of those. Being a decade removed from that awful day hasn't even brought me a sense of clarity. The only revelation I've had this week is that my daughter will never fully grasp what that day meant for this country... and I pray she never has to.
Nobody was taken from me but I can't help but cry for that day. Today, it hurts differently but not less. In a rational state of mind I would have known that was not my dad's flight, but thinking about getting the email titled "I'm okay" still makes me cry. I also think about the people I was with and that makes me smile because we held each other up and together were stronger.
This was not the first time that year we sat huddled together because our world had been suddenly shaken. Not two weeks before, a friend lost his private battle with depression. This is not the way our senior year should have kicked off but it was not how nearly 3000 people's lives should have ended.
No comments:
Post a Comment