Saturday, September 7, 2019

My first and not last BRR

This weekend I took part in one of the most physically & mentally challenging of my run career and it was SO MUCH FUN! I have been asked in a few times in the past by teams but it was never good timing. With no race focus on the horizon, I accepted the challenge to run the Blue Ridge Relay. This 208 mile relay race starts in Grayson Highland State Park, VA, runs along the Blue Ridge Parkway and finishes in Asheville, NC. There were over 180 teams all living in vans for 2 days (running through the night, snacking to stay fueled & awake and hustling to each exchange point to drop off the next runner). Every team shared the same challenges... grueling hills, complete darkness, multiple running surfaces and sleep deprivation. I jumped onto the shoulder to dodge a car on a narrow mountain road, held my pepper spray at the ready to attack the local idiot we heard was jumping out of hiding spots to scare females and moving to the opposite side of the road when saw stray dogs all while being worried I'd miss a turn. I was on a 12 person team so "only ran" a total of 14.6 miles over 3 legs but were all difficult in their own way.


My first leg was short but at 4pm and in full sun! I had been awake since around 5am and been in and out of a van since 6:30am so it was a great way to get the jitters out and finally turn my legs over. I ran again at midnight. The teammate in front of me got lost and I became anxious with every passing minute past when she was expected. I have never been anywhere more dark and while I loved the freedom of that night run it was hard to open up because was scared would trip! I finally slept for maybe two hours around 4am before my biggest contribution at 8am.

Leg 31, simply referred to as "The Goat", is arguable the toughest of the 36 legs. I was nervous but chalked it up to "new kid draws the short straw" and didn't overthink it. It eased in with a flat half mile before a grueling 6 miles of mountain switch backs and an elevation gain of 1398 ft. I was able to average an 8 min/mile which turned out to be the fastest (female) of the day! I was thrilled to put up a good time and was happy knowing I didn't have to try and race again on my tired legs.



The views were breathtaking, the running was an awesome challenge and the camaraderie was uplifting! It was impressive to watch elite runners beast it and very beginners push themselves. Howard Schultz said, When you run a race as a team, you'll discover that much of the reward comes from hitting the tape together. You want to be surrounded not just by cheering onlookers but by a crowd of winners, celebrating as one. I’m beyond exhausted but canNOT wait to do it again and with these people! #TeamStacheFO




2 comments:

Lisa Landrum said...

Strong team

Celeste Bailey said...

Jealous!!! So fun!!