Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Opting Out

I feel the need to make a confession. I did NOT register for the 2020 Boston Marathon. Whew, there I said it but honestly it still doesn't fully sit well with me. I love the marathon, I identify as a marathoner and I love The Boston Marathon & identify as a Boston Marathoner!

I worked hard, persevered through the humidity to run a personal best, 3:15:22. This gave me a qualifying time of over 20 minutes! I am proud of this and was excited to learn I could have been in and done on the first day registration opened. Today The Boston Athletic Association announced the official conclusion for entry into the 2020 race. The B.A.A. added 1,500 qualifying spots but still shut out over 3,000 who met the new, faster Qualifying Standard. The cut off for next year's race came down to 1 minute and 39 seconds... meaning if you ran 1:38 faster then what you needed for your age/gender, you still did not get in. {More on the registration process for my non road runner friends.}

Congrats and Good Luck to all that made it in! Enjoy this world class iconic event. It is hard to believe I won't be a part of it next year. I will absolutely be back but I am choosing to shift my focus from Boyston and looking towards some new challenges.

Boston Marathon Expo 2018


No comments: